Sunday, January 6, 2019

Happy New Year 2019 #2

Feliz Ano Nuevo-Happy New Year 2019
A new year: opportunity to wear a new hat, put on a new face, take advantage of new opportunities


When I read the blog from my friends the Allens serving in St. Petersburg, Russia, with a photo of a young volunteer (Russia does not allow them to be called "missionaries") with his fur hats, it made me want to tell the man who stands on a nearby Providencia street corner trying to sell fur hats and other fur articles, all year...right now in the heat of summer...that he is crazy! Go to Russia to sell your furs!

A large tent was erected in front of the Providencia city hall for dancing and food.

Norma Lira (usually wearing a hat!) invited Sister Umber and me to celebrate New Year's eve at her apartment, a 20 minute walk. We ate lasagna, heard many stories well preserved in that head under her hat, and could see the fireworks from her 11th floor apartment. She had hoped we would spend the night and tried to keep us by blocking the elevator door, but we escaped!
Thoughtful Viviana had brought some desserts which we enjoyed as we talked (listened) and watched the Entel Tower fireworks in Santiago on TV, which were spectacular!
 


On the way home we looked at the party inside the tent
January 1, 2019 we started the year with a ride to the top of Cerro San Cristobal (view to northeast)

view to the east with Costanera Center and snow-topped Andes

She was pretty happy with her cotton candy!


view looking south with old stone chapel


The Virgin of the Immaculate Conception on top of hill (visible from all over Santiago) and stone benches where Pope John Paul II said mass in 1984, and where other masses are said.


Inside the Statue shrine

I like the motto: "Make us a country of brothers"

It was a hot day so I envied the people crowded into the beautiful pool halfway up the hill. The zoo and funicular are on the west/far side of the hill.

Mid-afternoon on January 1, these two wonderful missionaries, Sisters Gomez and Rodas came to the hostel to stay several hours before their return home to
 Guatemala. They have finished their mission with joy and success in Antofagasta, in the far north of Chile. I lent them towels and shampoo and fed them dinner, then we walked around the temple, as they said their good-byes to Chile. Needless to say they are excited! I saw them out the door with their suitcases at 10PM. Hats off to them!
 


 


New Year's is a time to reflect on goals, hopes and favorite people, like my California Bishop Todd Miner and his wonderful family (visiting family) in front of San Xavier mission in Tucson, Arizona. I hope 2019 will be memorable in a joyful, satisfying way. May you enjoy piles of fun times...


and share good times building memories with family
 (remember how fast kids and grand-kids grow up!) and friends...


I am grateful for all who send me messages, cards, and general support. I'm thankful for my many interesting experiences of 2018, but am ready to move on to new adventures and challenges.
Like the huge 2-year construction of the building going up across the street (about all I can see from my window), the first year was raising the main structure/ my adjustment to a new culture and lifestyle, the second year is the fine tuning. In the case of the building it means windows, doors, closets, appliances, paint. I want to be more in tune with my Savior's will for me, to increase my desire to carry out, not just to know His will, and to help make life a little better in some way for those who cross my path. Am I brave enough, do I have enough faith to be creative enough to find new and better ways to serve in this world so fraught with every imaginable disaster, challenge, hardship? Can I focus enough to bring a little more joy and comfort, if only to a few?

1 comment:

  1. I love the constant getting together! Your blogs make me hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete