Saturday, February 27, 2021

 

February 2021 has come to an end.....

The United States reached the staggering milestone on February 22 Birthday of George Washington, in a pandemic that has lasted almost a year. The nation’s total virus toll is higher than in any other country in the world, and it means that more Americans have died from Covid-19 than they did on the battlefields of World War I, World War II and the Vietnam War combined.

I am grateful to have received 2 doses of the Pfizer Covid vaccine as of February 25. I was very impressed with the efficiency, welcoming and helpful attitude of those directing and administering the vaccine at a converted shopping center in Spanish Fork, Utah. I hope all will be able and willing to get it and have such a positive experience. I know that some countries are still waiting, as are most younger people everywhere. There are some advantages to be counted among the "elderly!"

I am in a comfortable Airbnb near Day's Market, a hardware store, a post office, a park, and not far from Rock Canyon Park, Provo, Utah. Mount Timpanogos and other snowy peaks are almost close enough to touch. I found out that Provo is named after a mid-1800's French beaver (and other furs) trapper Etienne Proveau. His 300 pound bulk probably helped him escape attacks by the once peaceful Ute and Shoshone Indians, who became more warlike when the Spanish introduced horses and guns years earlier, threatened and took their land.


The house where I'm staying downstairs in the basement. The owners' 13 year old son Christian built a snowman. Paul and Sara Gilman brought me a brush, ice scraper and windshield cover for my car.




The house backs up on this park. Rock Canyon has lots of trails which I hope to discover when it warms up a little



Unfortunately the Provo Temple, normally the world's busiest (the missionary training center is across the street), is only open on a very limited basis during the pandemic. 


Palo Alto friend Sara Gilman and I walked to watch the sledding at Rock Canyon Park. The large bowl allows melting snow to drain out to prevent flooding. Mount Timpanogos (below) is spectacular and looks different in every light.



Sara sitting on the bench dedicated to the Hank and Colette Taylor Family. There is a drive-by 90th birthday celebration in Palo Alto for our dear friend Hank, today, February 27, even as I write this. I had dinner with the Gilmans after our walk. They're in the rental house below while they decide on one to buy or build here in Provo.




The snow didn't stay long...Rock Canyon Park this week.
Sadly, the BYU stadium and other sports venues are empty during Covid. 



        Timpview High School where 3 of my grandchildren attend in               person. Students have the option to attend online. Masks are                required everywhere but Utah feels more open, less restrictive.


View across the valley to the mountains on the west side of Lake Utah


My grand-daughter Ming Lu de S. comes over after school most days and we talk, study, do puzzles and play Bananagrams until her parents and little sister pick her up.

 
What a difference the blue skies make. Today (below) when I went for a walk it was very cold and obviously had been hailing, but from my basement I had no idea.


I'm very much in limbo, waiting for my Palo Alto home to sell (this next week I hope) so I can proceed with buying the new one. But I am grateful to have lots of time to read, listen to various programs, zoom with family, friends, students, church and other classes. It was brought sharply to my mind the desperate situation of so many in our world. So many children are starving, so malnourished that their mental and physical growth is stunted. I am so blessed and am determined to be more generous once I am not so wrapped up in my move. The following presentation about children in Madagascar, was by the Bountiful Children's Foundation. 




We are not in "The" Great Depression, but the Pandemic has hit much of the world very hard. Many cannot recover without help.


 I was moved by the following story, illustrating how life and the world around us are constantly changing and will inevitably change us as we grow from new experiences.

At the age of 40, Franz Kafka (1883-1924), who had never married and had no children, was walking through the park in Berlin, when he met a little girl who was crying because she had lost her favorite doll.
She and Kafka searched for the doll without success. Kafka told her to meet the next day to look for the doll together.
The next day, when the doll had not yet been found, Kafka gave the girl a "written" doll letter that said "please don't cry. I went on a journey to see the world. I will write to you about my adventures ".
Thus began a story that continued until the end of Kafka's life. During their meetings, Kafka read the doll's carefully written letters with adventures and conversations that the girl found adorable.
Finally, Kafka brought the doll (bought one) that had returned to Berlin.
"It doesn't look like my doll at all," the girl said. Kafka handed him another letter in which the doll wrote, "My travels have changed me." The girl hugged the new doll and happily took her home.
A year later, Kafka died. Many years later, the girl, now an adult, found a letter inside the doll. In the tiny letter signed by Kafka it was written: "Everything you love will probably be lost, but, in the end, love will return in a different way."

It is so important that we extend ourselves to others, even if just lending a sincere, empathetic listening ear.

1 comment:

  1. I love this sweet story about Kafka being a sweet friend to that little girl.

    ReplyDelete