Monday, January 8, 2018

Santiago's Cerro San Cristobal

Santiago's Cerro (hill) San Cristobal
....is the largest urban park in South America, with a large white statue of the Virgin Mary (symbol of Santiago), a sanctuary and chapel, a large zoo with more than 1,000 animals of 158 species, a large pool, and several cafes. It has a funicular, but we hiked up it the steep hills starting early Monday morning, our preparation day, to avoid the midday heat. It was a bit strenuous, but worth the view of Santiago, which is a huge sprawling city of 7.3 million people. Unfortunately it was too smoggy to see well the higher snow-covered Andes.  We will hope for another clearer day. In the 1920's wealthy Santiagans drove their cars most of the way and took a tram (the cars and wheel works are being restored) up to the "Roof Garden" to dance, eat at a posh restaurant on the terrace with a spectacular view. It was a great trip! Neil and Vickie Hurley and Alma Umber on the bridge with Costanera Tower (highest in Latin America: 300 meters) and very muddy Rio Mapocho behind.


After our long hike and visit to the "prayer wall" and sanctuaries, we sat at a cafe and I tried the/a national drink, mote de huesillo (a sweet juice made of dried peaches, wheat, water) (not too bad!), visited the "roof garden" with my headless date, and wound our way down the hill past the large beautiful pool where I would like to have taken a swim. I have not yet found a place to swim I can afford! My main form of exercise here will have to be walking, I guess. There were many bikers sweating their way up the hill. In the evenings when it cools off, their are bikers, runners, and families with children in the many lovely parks and playgrounds all around us. It stays light until almost 9:30 PM.

Down below, Santiago is filled with restaurants and cafes along the tree-shaded streets . Our main street is Pedro de Valdivia ( president who subdued the Mapuches in the south and founded Santiago in 1541. By his death at their hands in 1553, he had founded a new society, with many settlements).

Northeast Santiago. We live off to the right. I could barely make out the Andes with snow through those clouds.

in the 1920's on the Roof Garden
Vickie Hurley and more of Santiago

Everything is back to "normal" after the holidays. We are working hard at the temple, trying to learn names, connecting with young students and working people who would like help in English as tutor and "speaking partner." Pathways is a three semester program which prepares young LDS for BYU online or the TOEFL test. I have enjoyed helping in the past and also love learning their culture from them. I'm enjoying the other missionaries and feeling happy and comfortable in my new temporary home. I'm delighted to occasionally use my French and hope my Spanish is improving, especially my listening ability as the speed and accent are challenging! I'm grateful for the opportunity to keep learning at my age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment