Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Chilenismos and communication





Chilenismos and Communication

According to a Lonely Planet guide writer:
"Chilean Spanish fell off the wagon; it is slurred, sing-song and peppered with expressions unintelligible to the rest of the Spanish-speaking world. Cachay? (you get it?) often punctuates a sentence, as does the ubiquitous pues, said as po/ sipo all clattered together, actually means "well, yes." Country lingo is firmly seeded in this former agrarian society, which refers to guys as cabros (goats)." There are so many more....such as al tiro (right away).
Fortunately temple and church language is standardized, but as soon as people start telling anecdotes at breakneck speed, I am often lost, listen for key words, and admit to just smiling (hoping it is something to smile about) and faking understanding many times. Of course they must think I'm crazy, stupid, or insensitive?
Of course, Chileans, like the rest of the world, seem to spend more time on texting, mostly whatsApp (which is pronounced something like Wuzup) here, than on real conversation. I was tempted to snap a photo in the park yesterday of 6 young adults sitting on the grass in a close circle, every single one on his/her cell-phone. Were they talking to each other or someone a little farther away? Why not a face-to-face, heart-to-heart talk?
It's much better to chat and laugh in person (over pizza made by Nina for our last get-together before the Ray and Dawn Schultz left) with fellow missionaries: Sisters (and husbands) Dawn, Elsa, Nina, Alma, Clara, Miriam....

or while eating yummy salmon at nearby Ceviche restaurant


or over lunch with sister missionaries Horrocks and Shields, 
and Cecilia Espinoza and family (Cristobal and Mariange)

or with cute Fran who comes once a week to practice her English and to share so many things we have in common despite the difference of age and culture.

I'm grateful for the written word (and especially for my Amazon e-books) and the much more universal language of music and art and scenery (maybe you have wondered why I include so much of the latter three?). This was an interesting exhibit by Chilean artist Ximena Subercaseaux entitled "Latitud."
She tries to capture the spirit of objects conversing within themselves and with other objects, nostalgic and real, landscapes immediate and distant, intact and destroyed. She reminds me of Georgia O'Keefe in some of her oil and tempura paintings.





Above are some of "Forgotten Cities"series

 
The Sky

Skateboarders all seemed to be connected to earbuds, too, but at least were getting some exercise at the skate park, though most should have been in school!

I noticed that even the homeless mostly have cell-phones

International Sculpture Symposium
Hand prints of 2017 sculptors

It was fun to return to see the mostly completed sculptures I had seen recently in the early stages...
Carlos Monge from Mexico painting his metal sculpture

Bull, and Bonds of Humanity, (and yours truly), below


human connection

 I spent a wonderful hour reading, photographing (my photos have disappeared), and learning to appreciate the tremendous contribution of Patricio Aylwin, at an exhibition at the National Library.
 Patricio Aylwin Azócar (1918-2016) was a Chilean politician from the Christian Democratic Party, lawyer, author, professor and former senator. He was the first president (1990-1994) of Chile after dictator Augusto Pinochet, and his election marked the Chilean transition to democracy in 1990. He won many international awards, including a Fulbright prize for international understanding. His communication skills and tireless work for his country have won my admiration.
I also relate to him, as my maiden name is similar: Aylwin/Allen and he has 5 children and 17 grandchildren, as do I! I don't have great-grandchildren yet, but maybe if I live to be 97/8 like him!

 Image result for patricio aylwin biografia

 Another Chilean, much admired here in Chile is Violeta Parra (1917-1967) I have visited her home/museum in Santiago, and am planning to watch a film about her tomorrow at the Providencia Cultural center.
Violeta del Carmen Parra Sandoval was a Chilean composer, songwriter, folklorist, ethnomusicologist and visual artist. She pioneered the Nueva canción chilena, a renewal and a reinvention of Chilean folk music (made possible by traveling to villages all over Chile and delving into the folklore and songs almost forgotten) that would extend its sphere of influence outside Chile. She died on my birthday in 1967 and had 5 siblings (like me) and loved Paris (like me). I love her art and music!
Image result for violeta parra biografia

Life is so full of so many good and interesting things! I miss a lot here with my mediocre Spanish skills, but am grateful to have been born at a time when so much is available through so many means. We will watch the Sunday dedication of Chile's second temple, in Concepcion, by President Nelson, via broadcast. We will see if having a second temple affects our attendance here. The temple is a place of peace, learning, covenant-making, and uniting of families for eternity. We are all part of the huge human family. Serving in the temple helps me love and accept all who are trying to live decent lives, following the example of our Savior Jesus Christ. When talking to the disciples appointed by Christ when he visited the new world after his resurrection, he asked them "What manner of men ought ye to be?", he answered "even as I am." We should all be developing his attributes of kindness, forgiveness, humility, compassion, patience, long-suffering, love, and more. None of us is perfect, we all fall short, but His arm is always stretched out (if we ask) to strengthen, help, to comfort, to guide, to inspire us.





3 comments:

  1. Dear Miriam, I so love reading about your mission and discoveries and your wonderful insights. You are so observant and reflective and not only immerse yourself in the culture but appreciate it as well. I enjoy learning more about Chile through your posts and can sense your love for the mission, the country and the people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Hola Miriam! - I think you embody exactly what Elder Scott was teaching Elder Gong, as he related at our last General Conference. To be creative is to be observant and aware of God's power. Thank you for sharing your travels in Chile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ecuador is the same with texts and "wazup" - I love to write real messages in response to the many videos and posters I receive. What do we do about the handheld device problem with children and even adults??? I'm inspired by what you shared about Violeta Parra. The Filipino Traditions are fading away in my family. You've inspired me to study my heritage even more, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete