Wednesday, June 5, 2019

All's well that ends well

All's well that ends well...
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race...
I can no longer run very fast, definitely can't throw a ball very far, jump high hurdles, or walk a balance beam, but as a senior adult I have been able to serve again as a temple missionary with a happy heart and share lots of wonderful moments with many new and eternal friends before being released as a temple worker on Tuesday. As my 18 months in Chile draw to an close, my testimony of the sacredness and importance of the temple ordinances has grown, as has my love for Jesus Christ, and my faith that whatever good we can do for others helps to light the path for all of us back to our Heavenly Father. It's time now to grow in other dimensions and rejoin family and friends whom I've greatly missed.
Monday evening Nina and Scott Isaacson and I were honored at a despedida potluck dinner, at which each of us said a few words, as did President and Sister Wilhelm. We can use the 3rd floor now that, sadly, was the lounge of the missionary training center. 






And after the more formal dinner and photos we missionaries had planned to play games, but I guess some of us just wanted to get together and talk.
Dan Wallace, Scott Isaacson, Janelle and Ken Black, Jolene Wallace, Cliff and Nancy Moses, Nina Isaacson, Alan Marchant.

Three months ago I decided to finish out my mission with two trips a little closer to Chile than to California. I know "Down Under" is Australia's nickname, but it is equally appropriate for way down here. So after lots of planning and preparation and help from friends, I got picked up by shuttle at 5:30 AM to go to the airport, arriving more than 3 hours before my flight to Easter Island. One hour before take-off I sleepily but happily got in the boarding line. Since my seat was close to the front of the plane I would be (tragically) one of the very last to board. Until I showed my passport, visa and boarding pass, I didn't realize I also needed a PDI (a special police certificate needed for Easter Island, part of Chile). No one had mentioned it at my various stops. I ran up and down and through the airport, got the paper and arrived 1 minute after the doors of the plane had closed...there was nothing anyone could do, and no one seemed at all perturbed except me! So I changed the ticket (for a hefty fee rather than lose it all) for tomorrow (an even earlier shuttle pick up), took the shuttle home, and am hiding in my apartment. If I go out, I will have to explain my sad story to everyone (they can read it here). So far no one here has seen me, I think, except the Blacks who let me use their office phone to call the Easter Island hostel, and gave me a little sympathy!
I am trying to look on the bright side:
  • maybe I will only have to pay for 2 nights at the hostel.
  • maybe I will be less likely to get dengue fever with only 2 days' exposure to mosquitoes.
  • I will only have to pay for 2 days of tours, and still get to see the dance show I have booked.
  • I can eat up more of my food and pack a little more stuff.
  • I can write thank you notes for some of the fun gifts I have received from generous friends.
  • I have been able to start this blog.
  • I can plan a little more of my trip to Buenos Aires and Iguazu Falls for next week, if I am not put out to pasture for senility.
  • I can encourage the efforts of the workers outside my door rebuilding the outside door for the fourth time. Will they get it right this time??
  • I can pray for rain as I look at gray skies (Santiago is "enjoying" its driest year in 6 decades)
  • I can commiserate with all the other travelers who miss flights, have flights canceled for all kinds of reasons, and for all those who never have the means and opportunities to do all the traveling that has brought so much joy, learning and fun to my life.
  • I can remember that things happen for a reason...but what?

At Santiago's Arturo Merino Benitez Airport today (while I was waiting thinking all was well and that I would soon be seeing the famous moai) I enjoyed an exhibit about Benitez, the man who is considered the father and most important figure in Chile's aeronautical history. A graduate of the Escuela Militar, a military pilot, a postal pilot (maybe he was a friend of Antoine de Saint Exupery who wrote one of my favorite stories read throughout the world "The Little Prince"), creator of Chile's Air Force, a flying club, and founder of LAN (Linea Aerea Nacional) airlines.

I

No comments:

Post a Comment